Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Wikipedia describes itself as "the free encyclopedia anyone can edit." Read Wikipedia's ever-growing list of disclaimers--"Wikipedia Makes No Guarantee of Validity." It's not a good idea to rely on the information you find here--you can use it to start your research, but never cite or quote from it in a research paper.
Factors to look for in evaluating websites include
- Who is the author? Do they have a hidden agenda?
- Does the website purport to be objective? Advocacy group websites can be a valuable source of information, but you should question the information if they hide who they really are.
- What is the date of publication? When was it last updated?
- Do they cite reliable sources?
- If you have to sign up for a free account, what do they do with your information?
Invisible Web Resources
- Google and Yahoo are estimated to cover only 3% to 34% of documents available on the Internet
- Much Internet exists as the "Invisible Web", hidden from search engines for a number of reasons:
- Site requires registration
- Site is fee-based or licensed
- Site is behind a firewall or on an intranet
- Site is dynamically generated
Internet Archive and Other Web Archives
Archive of government websites that have ceased operation (usually websites of defunct government agencies and commissions that have issued a final report). This collection features a variety of topics indicative of the broad nature of government information.
Memory Hole 2
Site that saves important government documents that have been removed from government websites. Also digitizes documents not previously available.
TV News Search and Borrow
Contains over 1 million news programs collected since 2009 from national U.S. networks.The archive is updated with new broadcasts 24 hours after they are aired. Older materials are also being added.
Digital library of Internet sites and other cultural artifacts in digital form. Search for old versions of websites.